What is the Third Eye Chakra?
The Third Eye Chakra, or Ajna (from Sanskrit meaning “seat of intuition”) is located in the center of the forehead, parallel to the eyebrows. This is the center of wisdom, conscience, higher consciousness. Many associate this chakra with a “sixth sense” or clairvoyance, while others rely on it simply as strong intuition. Pictured as indigo in color, the third eye is the most perceptive part of the body.
When balanced, we are able to focus and see the bigger picture. The trap of “me-versus-them” is released and interconnectedness is understood. We are able to clearly see our blindspots and understand our part in the collective. It may become easier tap into the present moment instead of living the the past or the future. The Third Eye Chakra also helps to connect our higher and lower selves and trust our inner guidance.
An out of balance Third Eye may present itself as narrow-mindedness, an inability to set goals or plan, denial, a lack of imagination, or difficulty concentrating. Physically, headaches, brain fog, eye strain and dizziness are associated with this energy center. Mental fog, nightmares or other sleep disturbances could also be signs the third eye needs some love. (Of course, contact a qualified Professional if you have these issues. Do not take my word as diagnosis!)
To a lesser extent, self doubt, overthinking, and relying on validation are issues involving this chakra as well.
Connect and Balance your Third Eye Chakra
BREATHE AND MEDITATE
Alternate nostril breathing is a wonderful balancing breath (and great durning allergy season too!). But by using this variation where we place the fingers on the forehead at the Third Eye point, we can connect to this chakra more deeply.
- Sit comfortably in a chair or on the floor. Rest the left hand down in your lap. Close the eyes.
- Place the index and middle fingers of the right hand to the center of the brow, right above the Third Eye Chakra.
- Use your right thumb to close the right nostril. Inhale through the left nostril to the count of four.
- Close the left nostril with the right ring finger, release the right nostril and exhale to the count of four through the right nostril.
- Keep the left nostril closed as you inhale through the right for a count of four.
- Close the right nostril with the thumb, open the left nostril and exhale for four.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for a few minutes, building the practice time as you feel more comfortable.
- When you are ready to complete your practice, release the right hand down to the lap. Keep the eyes closed. And return to your normal breath.
Another simple meditation practice for the third eye is as follows:
- Sit comfortably, either in a chair with the feet planted firmly on the ground, or on the floor in easy pose. Rest the hands in the lap. You can turn both palms up in a gesture of receiving, palms down for grounding/looking inward, or on top and the other down for a balanced flow.
- Close the eyes. Soften the jaw.
- Start to breath in and out through the nose. Just working towards even length inhales and exhales.
- Keeping the eyes closed, look up to your third eye, that space between and just above the eyebrows.
- Continue to breathe and direct your focus to the third eye space.
- Stay here for a few minutes, or however long feels comfortable to you. As always, build on this practice by slowing adding time to the practice.
- When you are ready to release, take a big breath in through the nose and long exhale sigh out of the mouth. Bring the eyes back forward, slowly open and blink back into focus.
We are capable of rewiring our thought patterns. It simply takes focus and energy. So here are some simple affirmations for the Third Eye Chakra. Take what works for you and leave the rest-
- I trust my intuition.
- I am connected to my purpose and my true path.
- I hear my inner voice.
- I have clarity in my thoughts.
- I am open to my inner wisdom.
- Ego does not cloud my thinking.
- I am receiving and trusting.
- I learn form my experiences.
- I look inward and outward for wisdom.
MOVE YOUR BODY…
Getting into the body helps to get into the mind, right!?! This Chakra is the most introspective one yet. So, yes, I recommend yoga. There are poses listed below. Kundalini Yoga is also great for tapping into this center.
Journaling, again is coming up here. This time, dream journaling. The third eyes is connected to dreams, so jot those bad boys down as soon as you wake up and see what keeps appearing for you.
And in no particular order, yoga poses to connect to the third eye-
SHOP THE STORE FOR STONES
There are so many stones can be used to meditate on the Third Eye Chakra! Look for dark blue and purple crystals, or ones with shimmer or flash, like amethyst, kyanite, labradorite, and turquoise.