What is the Throat Chakra?
The Throat Chakra, or Vishuddha (from Sanskrit meaning “especially pure”) is located in the throat (go figure ;) ), but is also associated with the jaw, mouth, tongue, neck, thyroid and the shoulders. Glowing blue, the threat chakra is the communication center. This is place where you find your voice, speak your truth, and sing. This is the center of speaking up and expressing yourself, but also of hearing and listening. And broadly, the throat chakra is associated with truth clarity and responsibility.
Vishuddha works closely with the Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana, the second chakra). The Sacral Chakra is the center of creativity, and the Throat Chakra the center for expression. The go hand in hand. Creativity needs to be expressed!
Emotionally, a weak and imbalanced Throat Chakra is connected to shyness, social anxiousness, insecurity, and the refusal to speak. An overstimulated Throat Chakra on the other hand may show up as excessive gossiping, aggressive language, speaking without thought, or the tendency to dominate conversations. Physically, an imbalance Throat Chakra may manifest as tight shoulders, a tight neck, sore throats, hoarseness, or sinus problems.
If you suffer from any of these consistently, please seek professional help. You are worthy and deserving of help. Then use some of the tools listed below. You deserve to speak and be heard :)
Connect and Balance your Throat Chakra
Since the Throat Chakra is our vocal center, it would make sense that breath work with an audible element is the way to go here. And I have so options for you!
This is one of the first breathing patterns I was ever taught in yoga. Ujjayi (pronounced OOH-JAH-YEE), meaning “victorious breath” is powerful and sounds powerful.
- Inhale through the nose.
- Hold the breath at the top.
- Tighten the back of the throat and exhale out through the nose. Imagine you are saying “HAAAH” onto a mirror with an open mouth, trying to fog up a mirror. That is the force an effort behind the exhale through the nose. The sound of the exhale should fill the ears and be almost Darth Vader-y.
- Hold the exhale at the bottom.
- Breath in through the nose.
- Repeat the HAAAH exhale through the nose.
- Continue until you feel energized!
I use these all the time in my yin yoga classes. How loud you make them depends on how comfortable you are, but that’s the point here, huh?!
- Inhale deeply though the nose.
- Hold the breath at the top.
- Open the mouth and audibly sigh out. This is where that sound comes in. You can simply open the mouth and sigh. OR- take it a little further. Use the voice a bit. When you open the mouth and sigh out, you can get those vocal chords involved by gently saying “om”. It’s not a full on “OM” that you might chant at the end of a class. It is soft, almost like a hummed sigh. And you can feel it vibrating in the throat.
- Repeat as necessary.
We are capable of rewiring our thought patterns. It simply takes focus and energy. So here are some simple affirmations for the Throat chakra. Take what works for you and leave the rest-
- I lovingly speak my truth.
- I am honest about who I am.
- My truth becomes clearer everyday.
- I love to share my thoughts, experiences and wisdom. And I know when it is time to listen.
- I communicate my feelings with ease.
- I am confident enough to say no.
- I choose my words with love and compassion.
- I am an important voice in the world.
- My voice is heard.
- I love to use my voice and express myself.
- I listen when others share their truth.
- I speak only with good intentions.
MOVE YOUR BODY…
Because the Throat Chakra is so connected to the Sacral Chakra and self-expression, dance is a really fun way to et into that space. You can just put on your favorite playlist and jump around, go to a dance class, or maybe pull up a dance workout online to follow along to. And sing along (if you aren’t too outta breath!). Singing or humming gets the chakra spinning. Sing in the shower or turn the music up in the car and use your voice!
Don’t forget, there is always some yoga to get into the Throat Chakra as well. Some of these poses are advanced, so be very mindful and if you are unfamiliar find a yoga teacher you trust.
SHOP THE STORE FOR STONES
There are so many stones can be used to meditate on the Throat Chakra! Look for blue crystals, gems and stones like Amazonite, Turquoise, Aquamarine, Blue Apatite and Kyanite.